Well not really a fail but  since I'm in Spain I just don't have access (or euros) to the products required for this leave in. I still really want to try it though.

The kimmay ingredients:
  • 1 oz Knot Today Leave-In (or 2 tablespoons of YOUR preferred leave-in)
  • 2 tablespoons of (Whole leaf version) Aloe Vera Juice with a pH 4.0 or 4.5
  • 2 teaspoons of Castor Oil (optional. I sometimes do without it)
  • 2 teaspoons of Jojoba Oil

What I have:
  • aloe vera gel
  • grapeseed oil
  • regular conditioner (non-leave in)
  • castor oil
So as you can see I have quite a variation on what she suggests. The first problem: I have no access to the Knot Today. Not only that but I don't use a leave-in leave-in. I just use a little bit of the same rinse out conditioner.  And I've searched a few stores here and come to the conclusion that the Spanish don't use leave ins.

I've searched many farmacias and natural supplement stores today and have come up with 2 monetary problems. 1) I can find jojoba oil but a tiny bottle was like 20 euros and cheaper bottles were mixed with vegetable oil (ew). 2) Aloe vera juice is stuuupid expensive here! A small bottle cost about 12 euros and a liter of Lily of the Desert cost 24! I know that's a good brand but there's no way I would use the whole thing 2 tablespoons at a time.

So I guess what I'll have to do is create my own mix using what I have. Her mixture is based on science aout pH and based on my own deductions I think that the aloe vera is the most important part. So what I'll do (if I ever get around to my hair) is make a mixture based on her measurements. The conditioner I've been using looks like it has a similar texture to Knot Today and grapeseed oil is about the same consistency as jojoba oil.

I think my own mix should yeild similar results because a) it will add moisture and b) I tried a random sprotz with similar ingredients last week and I think that's why my twists and resulting twist out looks good and has stayed soft all week.

We'll see...(soon hopefully)


This entry was posted on 10:15 AM and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...