I just had a very deep conversation with a new friend about race/racism/heritage/culture/what have you. I’m currently in Lima, Peru. My new friend is NOT Peruvian, she’s American. So what’s the big deal? Come on Alisa, isn’t that what you went to Peru for? To have these “deep” conversations and leave people feeling culturally richer?


The answer is YES. But I didn’t realize that so many questions what be asked of me by fellow Americans. This girl’s heritage is Italian and Polish but of course in the states she is only white. So why is this weighing so heavily on my mind? I didn’t anticipate that in coming here to learn more about this culture, I would also have to explore more of who I am as a young. Black/ African American. Woman.

It was an intense conversation about growing up and being one of few black kids. And how I’m trying to break racial stereotypes and show people that there’s more than 1 or 2 types of black people. But the question that really got to me was: “Do you ever get mad?”

What? This sincere question caught me completely off guard. I didn’t even fully understand the question. Mad at racial stereotyping? Mad that people make assumptions about who I am based off of the color of my skin? Mad that racism still exists and so many [young] people are in denial? Mad that I’m black?

So I answered as honestly as I could. I said yes. But what does that change? I explained to her that while I’ve encountered racism first hand I try not to let it hold me back. I don’t think that every white person is judging me or treating me a certain way because I’m black. I know I’m black. Always have been and always will be. I guess the point of my ramblings is that every morning I look in the mirror and I’m black. (Obvious) But…

Well I guess I don’t really have a specific point. It’s just that with this conversation today and a class discussion yesterday about race/racism among Peruvians, I’ve started trying to gain some kind of perspective. I know my perspective is from the African American viewpoint, but it’s been a while since I really sat down and forced myself to consider what that means and confront…I guess the stereotypes that seem to be so determined to follow me everywhere I go.

I think I just have alot to think about...


This entry was posted on 8:53 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...