OT (off topic) but I just did some thinking today and I thought I would say it here...

It has taken me years to figure this out but I don't need friends. It's a big statement but I can explain. My whole (short) life I have never had a specific group of friends for longer than like a school year or shorter periods of time. I always tried to figure out what was wrong with me and why I couldn't seem to make and keep friends. I had a group of friends for all four years of high school but to this day I'm only in touch with one of them. Nothing bad happened between us but shortly after graduation we just all grew apart. Sad but true. Freshman year of college I had a group of friends too. We were always together. You never saw one without another one of us. But after that year we grew apart too. I'm only in touch with one. It has become a pattern where I make friends and shed them after  certain periods of time. When I was younger I would have a friend one year and then a new best friend the next. And I think that's normal at that age. Atleast to me.But that rate of change never slowed down.

It wasn't until after I watched Tyler Perry's "Madea Goes to Jail." I know it sounds dumb but there's a part where he talks about how there are different people that come and go in our lives and sometimes people can't tell the difference. There are people who are like seasons and come into your life to only teach you one thing but some people don't know that so they hold onto that person and try to form real relationships. I started thinking about it and I realize that it's true. I don't have the same friends that I had a year ago or 3 years ago but I can honestly say that I don't regret ever calling anyone a friend. Even the ones that ended badly, I still feel fortunate to have met them.

This past semester I met a few amazing people and they were my besties in Peru. Whether or not I will remain close to them I'm not sure of. But I know that in the time that I knew them we had some good times. Every person I've become friends with over the years has shared some awesome experience with me. When I think of certain events or periods in my life I see people and remember names. In middle school when I wore all black: Andrea. When the only shoe I wore was Converse: Julie. When I saw the Iguazu Falls: Anabel. When I climbed Machu Pichu: Jen...The list goes on and even though I may be lost in their minds, they'll always be fresh in mine :)


This entry was posted on 2:59 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...